Thursday, January 05, 2006

Movies I Saw in 2005

I REALLY don't see a lot of movies anymore:

February 2005 Releases
Hitch
Harmless little rom-com. Amusing that it's OK for Will Smith to be the romantic lead opposite a Latino, but not a white woman. I seem to remember said Latino costar, Eva Mendes, talking about it in some interview around the film's release. Kevin James was funny, but I don't know if I see any real breakout for him on the horizon.

April 2005 Releases
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
As I posted here, very underwhelmed.

May 2005 Releases
Crash
Brilliant. See here.

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
Ditto. See here.

June 2005 Releases
Batman Begins
Very good. See here.

July 2005 Releases
Fantastic Four
Worth a rental. As others have mentioned, they screwed up Dr. Doom pretty badly, and handled the main four with varying degrees of OK competence. For some strange reason, I have a feeling that the planned sequel will actually be much better.

November 2005 Releases
Pride & Prejudice
Excellent. I haven't read the book, so I wasn't put off, as some were (the wife) by Keira Knightley's inappropriate beauty, or by the slightly increased romantic heat and focus from that found in the book. Knightley was wonderful, and that young teen from the Julia Roberts-Susan Sarandon tearjerker Stepmom has become a very good actress, and one who can pull off a flawless British accent to boot.

Pathetic, no?

Until Whenever

No comments: