Random Top Ten
Random Top Ten!
Top Ten Sesame Street Characters
10. Amazing Mumford - Let's create a vaudevillian-esque, hammy stage magician Muppet? Very cool. Let's give him the magical, "Abcradabra"-stand-in phrase of "A-la-peanut butter-and-jelly-sandwiches?" Super cool. Let's give him a W.C. Fields accent? Genius.
9. The Count von Count - Such elegant simplicity - he loves to count. That he's a vampire is just icing on the cake.
8. Big Bird - The Elmo-haters forget that there was a more rounded, gateway character for little kids before Elmo - the hardly unpopular Big Bird. And a plus - best snore in pop culture history.
7. Oscar the Grouch - Like many a little kid at times, he hates everything. One of the best characters in the Sesame Street tradition of having one character embody a specific kid trait.
6. Bert - Hero to anal retentives everywhere.
5. Elmo - I know that as a certified Gen-X'er I'm legally bound to hate on Elmo, but I just can't do it. And I've seen first-hand the spell he can cast on younguns. Impressive.
4. Snuffleupagus - The classic imaginary friend writ real. How many of us still bemoan his reveal to the rest of the world?
3. Cookie Monster - The best of the "one trait" characters. "C is for cookie" is a mantra for living.
2. Ernie - He got way more than his fair share of great songs ("Dance Myself to Sleep," Rubber Duckie" "The Honker-Duckie-Dinger Jamboree," "that "Moon" song," but he kind of deserved them. And has anyone ever had a better laugh.
1. Grover - He's a frickin' superhero for crying out loud! How could he not get number one?