Friday, January 25, 2008

Three by Three
Warnings: Three by Three may contain spoilers.

Three things I liked about Juno
  • The tone, which hovered quite nicely on the border between stylized (the music, the self-consciously quippy and referential dialogue) and naturalistic (the performances by the adults, the emotions)
  • The plot twist, which I did not see coming, and how it wasn't played salaciously but just sadly.
  • The ending, in which we saw that Juno, assured as she was, was affected, and greatly, by having to give up the baby.

Three things I did not like about Juno

  • The way they kind of elided over the physical effects of pregnancy
  • The reaction of the parents, which was maybe just a tad too easy going
  • I kind of wanted one more Jennifer Garner scene.

Until Whenever

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I wouldn't argue your points, although the seasonal nature of the thing allowed me to believe that the physical stuff was happening in between.

Tosy And Cosh said...

It did, and I didn't mean to suggest that the film pretended that she didn't go through those discomforts at all, but just that I might have liked a scene or couple of moments in which we got to see her experience them, in that it would have added to the versimillitude.