Wednesday, January 09, 2008

How Ashamed Will I Be

So - now that it's 2008, how many 2007 films did I see in 2007?

Spider-Man 3 - Loved it, to my surprise - see thoughts here.

Transformers - Very fun to look at and a good, if exceedingly lightweight, time. My two big problems: 1) the mechanics of how the Transformers transformed looked faked, not actually though out. 2) the mix of tones (the sarcastic light teen stuff and the so-dramatic stentorian Optimist Prime speeches was jarring.

300 - A completely realized film that used CGI in ways only Sin City had approached.

Ratatouille - Brilliant, moving, and heartwarming (although two mostly bored three-year olds made the experience harder to enjoy).

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - While I may have hoped for deeper, more engaging FF films, this one was fun enough, with great work on the Silver Surfer.

Sweeney Todd - Genius. See here.

Death Proof - Fun, but for the first time in a Tarantino movie I found the scenes of characters bullshitting draggy. And not sure what to make of the shift at the end.

2007 films I hope to see in 2008:
Once, Walk Hard, Waitress, Across the Universe, The Simpsons Movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Bourne Ultimatum (but only after I see the first two), Knocked Up, Superbad, Enchanted, The Golden Compass, Charlie Wilson's War, Atonement, No Country for Old Men, Juno, There Will Be Blood, The Mist, Across the Universe, Gone Baby Gone, Into the Wild,

2 comments:

bill said...

I'd also recommend "Stardust."

Tosy And Cosh said...

I shall dd it to the list . . .