Doin' the Friday Shuffle
As I indicated to Roger in the comments to last week's shuffle, here is a shuffle derived from the musicals/Broadway songs labeled as "5-Star" in my music collection:
1. "Happiness" - Stephen Sondheim - Passion (Original Broadway Cast)
The only musical I'm aware of that starts with an orchestra indicating an orgasm. This song is the post-orgasm pillow talk between Clara and a Georgio and, in addition to being a lush, gorgeous piece of writing, was wonderfully staged on Broadway, with the two actors in a bed on center stage.
2. "The Ballad of Booth" - Stephen Sondheim - Assassins (Original Cast Recording)
This is really a long, sung, scene rather than a song, and it's a remarkable bit of playwriting. Booth's impassioned, anguished aria in the middle of the scene (sung here by Alias's Victor Garber) can raise goosebumps; it's a beautiful, stirring piece of music about hatred and racism.
3. "Color and Light" - Mandy Patinkin - Sunday in the Park with George (Original Broadway Cast)
A showcase for Patinkin, and one of the play's central songs, it's an intense and deeply felt paean to the struggles and elations of creating art.
4. "Sunday" - Mandy Patinkin - Sings Sondheim
The finale to Patinkin's intense solo show of Sondheim songs, a thrilling and impassioned solo rendition of the choral finale to Sunday in the Park with George.
5. "Waltz for Eva and Che" - Andrew Lloyd Weber - Evita (Original Broadway Cast)
The final confrontation between Eva and Che, sung impeccably by Mandy Patinkin and Patti Lupone.
6. "Experiment" - Mandy Patinkin - Experiment
Solo piano and a delicately sung rendition of a great classic - sublime.
7. "The Carnival" - Adam Guettel - Floyd Collins (Original Cast Recording)
A kind of melancholy, yet bouncy instrumental piece from Guettel's first show.
8. "The Ballad of Floyd Collins (Reprise)" - Adam Guettel - Floyd Collins (Original Cast Recording)
An acoustic guitar-accompanied country-folk sounding song from late in the play.
9. "How Glory Goes" - Adam Guettel - Floyd Collins (Original Cast Recording)
One of my all-time favorite theater songs - a dying man sings to God, questioning him about what heaven will be like. Haunting and rapturous.
10. "Icarus" - Adam Guettel - Myths and Hymns
A poppy, funky retelling of the Icarus myth.