Doin' the Friday Shuffle
1. "Joey, Joey, Joey" - Frank Loesser - The Most Happy Fella (2000 Studio Cast)
Romantic, yearning ballad from this operatic Broadway score.
2. "Gravedigger (Acoustic)" - Dave Matthews - Some Devil
One of my favorite Dave Matthes songs, especially in this acoustic version. Good coffeehouse music.
3. "Quartet (Acknowledgement)" - John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Ever listen to Vin Scelsa's "Idiot's Delight" radio show? The opening of this track is what he uses as his intro music. This is the first movement in one of the all-time great jazz pieces. Passionate and swinging--a nice combo.
4. "Another Time, Another Place" - U2 - Boy
Early, earnest U2, with a nice angry, driving bass/percussion line.
5. "16 Feet Beneath the Sea" - Jeanine Tesori - Caroline, Or Change (Original Broadway Cast)
Soulful, modern-sounding musical theater.
6. "The Man Who Couldn't Cry" - Johnny Cash - American Recordings
A live cut from the first of the "American" albums; just Johnny, his guitar, and a classic, straight-forward tune. Sometimes the simplest ingredients make the best meals.
7. "Allegro Agitato" - George Gershwin - Concerto for Piano and Orchestra Classic Gershwin, rollicking, steamboating piano.
8. "High Flying, Adored" - Andrew Lloyd Weber - Evita (Original Broadway Cast)
One of Lloyd Weber's prettiest songs, tenderly sung here by Mandy Patinkin.
9. "Sal's Last Song" - Paul Simon - The Capeman (Original Broadway Cast)
A very, very underrated score. Might help if he'd release the CD though. (This is a bootleg.)
10. "On the Road Again" - Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Not the Willie Nelson song.