Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Prognosticatin'

Given that U2 will be doing stadiums in the Fall I am more optimistic than I expected to be about getting tickets. And as I've been thinking about the tour, I've been trying to predict what songs will make the cut this go-round. So, assuming that they stick to the Vertigo model and do 16 or so songs and then a six-song encore, what will we hear?

From the new album
The four songs they have already played live during the promotional tour are gimmes:
  • Get On Your Boots
  • Breathe
  • Magnificent
  • I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
That leaves 18.

From the new album, I'd also expect to hear:
  • No Line on the Horizon (I'm going to peg this as the opener, a la the ZOO TV tour opening with "Zoo Station")
  • Moment of Surrender (the requisite ballad)
  • Unknown Caller

That leaves 15.

From How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, I'd expect them to keep:

  • Vertigo
  • All Because of You
  • City of Blinding Lights

That leaves 12.

From All That You Can't Leave Behind, I'd expect them to keep:

  • Beautiful Day

That leaves 11.

Dipping into the U2 live staples, expect the following to remain in the setlist; the songs fans would revolt upon not hearing and that the band can't seem to give up:

  • Where the Streets Have No Name
  • Bullet the Blue Sky
  • One
  • New Year's Day
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday
  • Pride (In the Name of Love)
  • Mysterious Ways

That leaves 4.

Expect them to dig out an oldie they haven't played in a long time, like they did last tour. I'm guessing it will be Out of Control.

That leaves 3.

Expect them to go back a tour or two and pull out a live favorite or two they don't have to relearn.

  • Until the End of the World
  • The Fly
That leaves 1.

The Saints Are Coming cover? They already learned it and it's a left-field choice.

So - my projected set list- in order of how I think it will unfold?

No Line on the Horizon
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Unknown Caller
Moment of Surrender
I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Out of Control
Until the End of the World
The Saints Are Coming
New Years Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky
Where the Streets Have No Name

Encore:
City of Blinding Lights
The Fly
Pride (in the Name of Love)
All Because of You
Breathe
One

Until Whenever

No comments: