I always thought I did. But in recent years, I've wondered more and more. Not if I like it at all - I do - but if I'm really a fan. I can't decide. Maybe you can. The evidence.
- As a kid I read Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series at least three times.
- I've never read the Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit and The Fellowship, and the beginning of The Two Towers, yes. But not any more. Nor do I particularly want to.
- I read in high school the first two Shannara trilogies, and loved them.
- In college I tried (twice) to get into The Eye of the World, the first book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, reading hundreds of pages. Never happened, and I never finished it.
- I've seen all three Lord of the Rings films multiple times, and love them dearly.
- I am now reading George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones, the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I am loving it, much to my surprise. I expected to not really like it enough to invest time in such a massive series (I only picked it up because news of the HBO series intrigued me), but was rapidly sucked in.
- I played D&D sporadically in high school and college, but never that regularly.
- Stephen King is my favorite author.
- I read comic books (but find explicitly "fantasy" comics boring).
- I am a fair-to-middling Star Wars nerd, and have read a good dozen or so of the novels.
- Apart from what I listed above, I don't know that I've ever read any other fantasy novels.
So - what say you?