Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Novel Meme

From James Tata I see this fun meme to try out on your novel-in-progress.

Turn to page 123 in your work-in-progress. (If you haven't gotten to page 123 yet, then turn to page 23. If you haven't gotten there yet, then get busy and write page 23.) Count down four sentences and then instead of just the fifth sentence, give us the whole paragraph.

The below is from my finished novella/unfinished novel Seeing the Ball, which I wrote as my thesis for my Masters degree in English.

Filling her lungs with a deep, audible gulp, like a drunk filling his belly with liquid courage, Jennifer started to speak, then hesitated, as the words caught in her throat and a fat tear slipped quietly from one eye and fell, unnoticed, onto the liverwurst in her hands. “Yes, she might. But she might not. The doctors just don’t know. They told Aunt Mary that she was fine for now, they were able to stop the bleeding and get her pretty much cleaned up, but that the damage to her br..brain might be too much. They really can’t say what will happen; they said we just have to wait for her to wake up.”

Earth-shattering in its brilliance, huh! My intent is to someday expand this episodic novella into a full-fledged novel, but, well, pure, undiluted laziness has kept me from yet doing so.

Until Whenever

No comments: