Doin' the Friday Shuffle
1. "You Are Music" - Maury Yeston - Phantom (1992 Studio Cast)
The "other" Phantom of the Opera musical. Not nearly as well-known as the Lloyd Weber version, but good nonetheless. This is probably the score's highlight, kind of a "Music of the Night" parallel, but one that addresses the notion of the Phantom teaching Christine much more directly.
2. "Seek Up (Live)" - Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College
3. "Gabriel's Letter/My First Woman" - John Kander and Fred Ebb - The Kiss of the Spider Woman (Original Broadway Cast)
Not apropos to this song, but I saw Chita Rivera in this on Broadway, and at age 60-something she just kicked ass, dancing and singing like any 20-something. Remarkable.
4. "Wrong Note Rag" - Leonard Bernstein (sung by Mandy Patinkin) - Leonard Bernstein's New York
A great choice for Mandy, as his manic, excitable side fits the song very well.
5. "Short Supply" - Tracy Chapman - Matters of the Heart
One of my favorite all-time songs. It's got a remarkable celebratory quality, with the bongos and organ adding real texture and light to the urgent guitar.
6. "In My Secret Life" - Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs
from Cohen's later speak-sing period. I really think he'd be better off at this stage writing for someone else. from the admittedly little I know of Cohen, his songs are invariably better when covered.
7. "Rooftops/Wild Ride" - Danny Elfman - Batman Returns (Score)
I like this score overall, but this is admittedly a bit of boilerplate "Elfman chase" stuff.
8. "Oh nobody knows when the Lawd is goin' to call" - George Gershwin - Porgy and Bess
Ruminations during a game of craps. This whole opening sequence of the opera is just stellar in how it introduces the community of Catfish Row that plays such a big part in the opera.
9. "The Divers" - Thomas Newman - Finding Nemo (Score)
Tense strings and clarinet. Just got this.
10. "Ti Moune" - Lynn Flaherty and Ahrens - Once on this Island
I've read great things about this score, but I've never gotten into it. Not sure why.