Monday, October 06, 2008

Why Does It Seem So Inviting?

Another absence, another meme to return on. I'm very predictable.

Stolen from the Frog.

Have you ever been apple picking?
Many times. Taking the kids has become a tradition, although this year the place (Masker's Orchards in NY) was out of cider donuts when we went. Not cool, Maskers, not cool.

Is there a dish you make/eat only during this time of the year?
Pumpkin ice cream. Only because evil Big Ice Cream only makes the stuff at this time of year. Jerks. This year, I've managed to get the kids hooked on the stuff. Passing on your addictions to your children can be fun!

Will you attend a tail gate party this season?
No. Went to a few in college and largely missed the allure.

When do you turn on the heat?
Usually at least intermittently by mid-October.

How many sweaters do you own?
Maybe 7?

Are you fond of Nouveau Beaujolais wine?
As its a wine, no. Tosy and Cosh are teetotalers.

Do you get excited about Halloween?
Yes. Much more so now that there are kids to act as beards for my enthusiasm. This year, one will be Cinderella and the other a witch.

How about Thanksgiving?
Yes. I just really like Turkey, plus the idea of a holiday with no real agenda.

Is there an activity you do only in the autumn?
Pumpkin picking, apple picking, pumpkin carving. Raking leaves.

Have you ever burned leaves?
No. Sounds fun though.

Do you own any ‘scarecrow’ decorations?
Two five-footers in the front lawn and two little one-foot decorations inside.

Do you plant bulbs?
We mean to plant bulbs.

Your fondest autumn memory?

When does fall begin for you?
The first time I have to out a jacket on in the morning.

What is your favorite aspect of fall?
The smell of the air. Just wondrous.

What do you like to drink in the fall?
Pumpkin spice coffee.

What is fall weather like where you live?
Northeast New Jersey is very nice in Fall - cool but not too cold with lots of sun.

What color is fall?
Burnt yellowy red.

Do you have a favorite fall chore?
No. I like the idea of raking, but the actuality of raking, not so much.

What is your least favorite thing about fall?
Rainy fall days. Very depressing.

What is your favorite fall holiday?
Halloween, in a pretty easy walk.

What’s your favorite kind of pie?
Pumpkin.

Do you have a favorite fall book?
Not really.

Until Whenever

2 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

Why do you abstain from alcohol, if you don't mind my asking?

Tosy And Cosh said...

If you gave me a big bowl of M&Ms, I would eat the whole thing. Now, about a third of the way through, I wouldn't WANT anymore M&Ms. But they would still be there, and so I would still eat them.

Based on this little bit of self-knowledge (and a little bit of family history), I have always suspected alcohol and I should not mix. And we never have. In 34 years, my total alcohol consumption comprises:
A sip or two of beer as a kid (thought it was gross)

A sip or two of wine as a teen (thought it was OK)
A shot of cherry brandy foisted on me after shoveling the driveway of my wife's kindly Greek landlords before we were married.

And that's it. I feined sipping the champagne toast at my wedding, my sister's wedding, and my father's wedding. Such hardcore abstinence may well be overkill. But I'm fine with never finding out.