Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Cover Game

Haven't done this in a year. The game: What of your favorite artists' songs would you love to hear a certain singer cover? This edition's contestant: Elvis Costello, a true rock singer.

U2
"Stay (Faraway, So Close)" - This almost sounds like an Elvis ballad all by itself.

Bob Dylan
Elvis had done at least one Dylan cover already ("You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go"), but I'd love to hear him tackle some late-Dylan. Maybe "Tryin' to Get to Heaven Before They Close the Door."

Radiohead
"National Anthem" - Angry Elvis would have a ball with this.

John Mellencamp
"Minutes to Memories" - Some nice slower passages, a fairly rocking chorus, plenty of pathos.

Fiona Apple
"Shadowboxer" - Elvis would have a good time with that snaky melody.

Aimee Mann
"Driving Sideways" - A sidesliding melody Elvis would dig his teeth into.

The Beatles
"In My Life" - One of my favorite Beatles tunes, but I'm not a huge fan of John or Paul as singers.

The Beach Boys
He's already done God Only Knows," and that's in brutal honesty the only Beach Boys song I really care about.

Bruce Springsteen
He's done "Brilliant Disguise," but I'd love to hear him do the gentler "Valentine's Day."

Dire Straits
"Brothers in Arms" - The cliche choice, but a hard one to deny.

Neil Young
"Rockin' in the Free World" - Elvis really needs to cover this spiritual descendant of "What's So Funny? (About Peace Love, and Understanding)"

Paul Simon
"The Obvious Child" - I can somehow hear Elvis doing this. And it's good.

The Who
"Love, Reign O'er Me" - Give that Costello scream a workout.

Queen
"Under Pressure" - As good as he is, Elvis isn't really a fit for much of Queen' he's not inherently theatrical enough.

Sting
"I'm So Happy, I can't Stop Crying" - Elvis has shown a sure hand with country stylings before.

Tracy Chapman
"Behind the Wall" - A masculine interpretation of this bare-bones a capella heartbreaker would be tres intriguing.

Until Whenever

2 comments:

bill said...

Over at my other blog I posted 2 Van Morrison covers. Elvis Costello sings Full Force Gale.

Tosy And Cosh said...

That's gorgeous. And so perfect, given that one of my choice's for him here is an a capella song.