Via Pop Candy, I see this list of favorite ten minute-plus songs. Of course, I couldn't resist listing mine (in length order).
1. "Underture" - The Who - Tommy (10:05)
One of my favorite Tommy tracks, and quite possibly my favorite instrumental rock track ever. What's remarkable is how, with no lyrics to fall back on and a fairly simple, repetitive hook, they still manage to spin a compelling, cohesive musical statement together.
2. "Sinnerman" - Nina Simone - The Essential Nina Simone (10:19)
A remarkable piece of folky, funky, traditional spiritual sounding music. Used to great effect in the climax of The Thomas Crown Affair.
3. "Natural Beauty" - Neil Young - Harvest Moon (10:23)
Slow, languid, and just a little touch of melancholy. A leisurely, patient stroll through what is at heart a simple song.
2. "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" - Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (11:19)
Dylan loves his long songs and this is one of the best. I love how it unfolds.
1. "Highlands" - Bob Dylan- Time Out of Mind (16:31)
The longest "song" in my collection. Pretty much a complete short story told through multiple casual verses. Brilliant.