Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Can't Be Real

My favorite band, as any regular reader will have been made painfully aware, is U2.

My second-favorite superhero, and a childhood obsession, is Spider-Man.

And one of the most revelatory moments the arts have given me over the years is Julie Taymor's remarkable vision in the musical The Lion King - the opening parade of animals moved me like precious little art has.

So.

So why does the news (news I'm still inclined to think is some kind of hoax, by the way) that a Spider-Man musical, with music and lyrics by Bono and the Edge and book and direction by Julie Taymor, so fill me with discomfort?

I mean, if I--a man who is passionate about musical theater, comic books in general and Spider-Man in particular, and the music and lyrics of U2--think this is a dodgy idea, then who exactly is rooting for it?

Puzzled. very puzzled.

Until Whenever

No comments: