Friday, October 13, 2006

Laziness? Nah.

The fourth episode of Studio 60 was much better than the first two I saw, and I am newly encouraged that Sorkin can focus enough on the backstage drama to make the sketches themselves non-essential. I thought the very brief glance we got of the "Juliette Lewis hosting Meet the Press" sketch struck a perfect balance between giving us something but not too much - by allowing us to believe that the sketch could be quite funny without having to see it.

But the real point of this post is to wonder aloud at what feels to me to be a very, very odd choice. Why is 60 using the same font as The West Wing for its titles and on-screen time and location guides? The West Wing font always seemed to me to be a perfect choice for a political show about changing the world - somber, idealistic, and simple. How on earth does that same font fit in this world of drugs and comedy? It doesn't. And I can't for the life of me imagine why they chose to just use the same damn font. Anyone have a theory?

Until Whenever

No comments: