Yawn. I'm really out of touch with contemporary music. My very limited-due-to-ignorance reactions of the nominations:
- Very surprised that Bruce didn't get an album of the year nomination.
- "Before He Cheats," which I heard all summer for some reason (while I've never heard "Umbrella") is actually a solid bit of songwriting, and I'm cool with its Song of the Year nomination. Ditto for "Hey There Delilah" and "Rehab." I'm kind of shocked that I know three of the five!
- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance - I actually think McCartney's Dance Tonight is a pretty bad performance
- Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals - Bono's vocal on "Window in the Skies" is gorgeous, actually, and very deserving.
- Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance - Bruce and "Radio Nowhere" vs. John Mellencamp and "Our Country" for me. Got to give it to Bruce.
- Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals - U2 gets the nod for their "Instant Karma" cover. Bet you know where my vote is going.
- Best Rock Song - Go, "Radio Nowhere!"
- Glad that Bruce got a nomination for Best Rock Album.
- Neon Bible gets a nomination for Best Alternative Album. I'll take it.
- Best Comedy Album - Steven Wright has a new album?? Must. Get.
- Best Musical Show Album - Grey Gardens is pretty good, but Spring Awakening is better.
- Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media - Dreamgirls has to win this, no?
- Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media - Babel already won the Oscar, but I did think Ratatouille was pretty fine.
- Best Classical Crossover Album - A quick listen at iTunes shows that bass/baritone Thomas Quastoff's jazz album might actually be pretty good!