Wednesday, August 17, 2005

RockStar Week Six

Because no one demanded it. This week the singers go unplugged (but in some cases overproduced; I think they kind of missed the point of being inspired by Marty's acoustic-guitar-only performance last week). Here are my pithy takes:

Jordis - Knocking on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan)
Good Lord this woman can sing. Overproduced and too many strings and a bit schmaltzy, but she still was wonderful. I resisted throughout, having wanted a very stripped-down version with just guitar and voice, but she won me over in the end. I'd love to hear her tackle a non-over-covered Dylan song. "Tangled Up in Blue?"

Jessica - Torn (Natalie Imbruglia)
Better that she's been, but still not special. She may cling around for a week more or two, but I'd be shocked if she wins.

Ty - Maggie May (Rod Stewart)
Great rethinking of a song I've never really cared for. The finals should really be between Jordis and Ty.

Suzie - Bring It on Home to Me (Sam Cooke)
Great, soulful performance of a song I didn't know.

Marty - Hit Me Baby (One More Time) (Britney Spears)-- Marty
Marty takes the curveball and does well with it, but you have to wonder; wasn't he in a win-win situation? I mean, if he blew it, wouldn't the song have been blamed? He certainly got a lot of credit for managing to do it well.

Deanna - I Can't Make You Love Me (Bonnie Raitt)
Admirably sung, but, again, not special. At this point, only special will really cut it.

J.D. - As Tears Go By (The Rolling Stones)
When will America vote this arrogant SOB off? He thinks he's being soulful, and intent, and mysterious, but really he's just being egotistically dramatic with his "intense" version. Blech.

MiG - Baby, I Love Your Way (Peter Frampton)
Very intense, soulful rendition of a could-easily be-cheesy song, with MiG accompanying himself on piano very ably.

Deanna, Suzie, and J.D. should be on the block but who knows what America will do.

Until Whenever

No comments: