Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Let's Play a Round of "Is It a Shout-Out or Am I Being Silly"

Watching a Law and Order: SVU rerun last night and noticed something. Being that it films in New York, Law and Order is famous for making extensive use of Broadway actors, including, of course, musical theater actors--in fact, series regular BD Wong had the lead in the recent revival of Sondheim's Pacific Overtures. And last night's episode also featured not only Christopher Sarandon, who was recently in The Light in the Piazza, but also musical theater luminary Bernadette Peters as a hard boiled defense attorney, so my musical theater neurons were buzzing. Then, at one point in the plot, the detectives track down a poison that was shipped from overseas - from Kanagawa, Japan, specifically. My mind immediately started humming "Welcome to Kanagawa," from Pacific Overtures. So - was this an intentional nod by the show's writers to its musical theater connections? Or a specific nod to Wong's recent role in that musical?

Or am I being silly?

Until Whenever

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

I don't know, but my favorite line in Boys in the Band is, "There are no accidents."