Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Inspiration

When I first got into U2 in the late 80s, I certainly never imagined the kind of figure Bono would become. Listen to this speech and see if you react the same way I did. With a sense that this man - this still-young man, lest us forget - is going to do a lot of good in the world in the, not years, but decades to come. That this man, when I am in my eighties and telling stories to my grandchildren, will be the historical figure they will be most eager to hear stories about. That he will be in the history books, and in the 21st century magazine recaps. That he will be influential.

Until Whenever

2 comments:

bill said...

I'll have to check the youtube later tonight. But I can share a common impression of Bono from the early to mid 80s. This is a joke I remember from probably winter of 84-85...well, some of the joke; what I really remember is the punchline.

Man dies, goes to heaven. An angel is showing him around and he see's all the famous dead musicians: Beethoven, Hendrix, the usual cast of characters. They pass by a golden room and a man in black wearing sunglasses is sitting on a golden throne.

I didn't know Bono was dead!

No, that's God. Sometimes he likes to pretend he's Bono.

Anonymous said...

hi,

I love your blog. I like U2's music too. But, I thought I'd offer this counterpoint.

cheers,

Robert

Advertising Age calculates that around $100 million has been spent blanketing billboards and magazines with images of Bono and other "celebrities", while the total sum raised for Africa is $18 million.

Just to be clear... Total spent on making Bono more famous = $100 million.

Total spent on drugs for Africans = $18 million.

link: http://aneedlessdistractionforme.blogspot.com/2007/03/hating-bono-again.html