Monday, August 18, 2008

The Last Third

As the summer winds down (sigh) and the new Fall Preview stuff starts trickling in, here is what I am most looking forward to in the Fall from the world of pop culture:
  1. No Line on the Horizon - U2 - This is widely rumored to be the title for the new U2 album. Yes, that's right, a new U2 album. Be prepared for me to talk about nothing else for a good two weeks or so around its release.
  2. Just After Sunset - Stephen King - King's first short story collection since Everything's Eventual. Actually, I have a hunch I'll have read a few of these in magazines already, but as a completist I must have it.
  3. Road Show - Stephen Sondheim - Sondheim's first new musical to play New York in 14 years (!) is a new reworking (the third major one) of his Wise Guys/Bounce musical about the Mizner brothers. I may have to get off of my lazy ass and actually go see this one!
  4. The Office - With Lost and Battlestar Galactica not coming back until 09, this is probably the TV show I'm most looking forward to the return of.
  5. Tell Tale Signs - Bob Dylan - The 8th in the Dylan Bootleg Series is a two-disc set that will feature cut songs and live tracks culled from Dylan's last four studio albums - exactly the period I was hoping against hope they'd focus on next. Excellent!
  6. Secret Invasion - The finale of the very enjoyable and epic Brian Michael Bendis miniseries should finish up in the Fall and I'm very excited. This has been a well-told tale of alien invasion so far, and I have a hunch Bendis has a few tricks still up his sleeve.
  7. Doubt - I never saw John Patrick Stanley's much-lauded play about molestation accusations in a Catholic church, but have read it and am very curious to see the film version.
  8. Pushing Daisies - The new show from last year I'm most excited about seeing again. The delightfully pitched fantasy fairy tale had a precariously balanced tone I'm not sure I've ever seen before, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take it next.

Until Whenever

No comments: