Friday, November 30, 2007

Two Years or So Behind, As Always

Because for years I had an iPod that refused to play nicely with my computer, and so didn't sync as often as I liked, and for a while at the end had to even manually move music over using my home computer, since the thing wouldn't sync with my home computer at all. But three months ago I got a new iPod Classic, (80GB black), that (so far) is playing beautifully well with the creaky VAIO I call my home computer, so I at long last have started to listen to some podcasts. Not many, but some. A quick rundown:

Coverville: Always worth a listen. Brian Ibbott puts out two or three podcasts a week, each chock full of cover songs, the vast bulk of which are things you likely have never heard. I love that Ibbott's selections are so varied - there seems to be no real discrimination going on, with poppy, synthy, heavy, folksy, jazzy, dancey, rappy, bluegrassy, country - pretty much any kind of music being represented. He's currently soliciting votes for his yearly countdown of the 40 greatest covers ever, so head on over and check it out.

Film Score Monthly Podcast: I literally started listening to this just yesterday, but so far I'm loving it. It looks like they go long swaths without issuing new episodes, but the Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man, and plagiarism episodes I've listened to so far are just great - intelligently, clearly argued and full of things I had never known or realized.

Onion Radio News and Onion News Network: These I'm less enamored with. When I think to listen to them I'm amused, but not so much that I look forward to them. So far it seems that the music stuff is more my speed.

So - anyone have any good music podcasts to recommend. I keep thinking that there has to be a good musical theater one out there, but so far I haven't found anything.

Until Whenever

1 comment:

bill said...

Not exactly a podcast, but you might want to give this a look/listen: In The Attic (itunes)

It's a video podcast that doesn't really require viewing: "Live unplugged acoustic music with Rachel Fuller and The Who's Pete Townshend backstage at gigs, festivals and venues around Europe. "

It's a Pete, Rachel (who?), and Pete's son--smoking like a 19th century factory and looking like someone who knows there's no chance in hell he'll ever live up to his father's legacy--sitting in an Airstream and inviting other musicians in to play and discuss music.

There's some surprising performances. website