Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-Leader!!

Two years ago I bought one of these from Best Buy--a Nomad Zen NX Jukebox. My wife gave me an "iPod" for my birthday--meaning that she said, "go get yourself an iPod, since I don't know how to pick one out." Before venturing out to my local Big Blue Box, I did a little on-line research, and decided that the Nomad was instead the way to go. I got the 30GB version for the same price that, at the time, the 10GB iPod was going for. I'm hardly a fashion plate, so the cooler styling on the iPod was pretty much a non-issue, and I figured that the interface, while reportedly much less user-friendly and buggy than the iPod's, couldn't be that bad. And you know what? I was mostly right. Sure, the software was ugly and cumbersome, and crashed a lot, but I did manage to get all of my roughly 400 CDs into the damn machine and it soon became the item I couldn't imagine living without. Having my entire music collection at my fingertips? Breathtakingly cool.

Maybe six months after purchase, the headphone jack on the Nomad started giving me problems. If it wasn't positioned right, most or all of the audio would cut out, often the vocal. Not a huge problem, but annoying nonetheless--I spent many hours, all told, twisting that damn jack to get the sound right on the machine. And more time than I care to admit listening to what I initially thought were oddly long instrumental intros, before realizing that the jack wasn't twisted right and I wasn't hearing the vocals. The removable cover (that allows for the insertion of a new battery) also broke, necessitating that a rubber band be forever wrapped around the lower quarter of the unit.

Because I am a sucker, when I bought the unit I paid the $39 for the replacement plan. And last week, just one week before said plan expired, I made use of it. Stalwart as my Nomad was, this time the temptation was too great. My wife got me an iPod again--I took the cash credit I got for the defective Nomad and applied it towards the 60GB iPod, the balance being her birthday gift to me. 7,000 songs and over 900 photos in the thing and I'm barely at half capacity. Sweet.

Now that I have one, I kind of see what the fuss is about. The interface is far more elegant, yes, and the software much cleaner and more user-friendly. But iTunes has frozen up on me several times now when connecting the iPod--so it's hardly bug-free. And, again, I'm not sure the extra money is worth the sleek styling and crisp graphics and handy-dandy click wheel. Still, I'm very happy with my new little toy and am, I suppose, now a full-fledged member of the cult. The photo feature is very cool specifically--as the embarrassingly proud father of two year-and-a-half year old twin girls, having every picture I've ever taken of them on my person at all times is, well, quite frankly, just dangerous. If you see me on the street don't say hi--unless you want to stare at my iPod's screen for a good while.

Now I'm off to explore the vast world of iPod accessories. Gulp.

Until Whenever

No comments: