Friday, April 10, 2009

Doin' the Friday Shuffle

1. "Time of the Preacher" - Willie Nelson - Red-Headed Stranger
Every year I become more of a Willie fan. This is a lovely little country ditty.



2. "Walk of Life" - Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
I remember this song as being omnipresent when I was in high school. I also remember vividly the sports bloopers video. What was all that about?



3. "Finale" - Kander & Ebb - Cabaret (Original Broadway Cast)
I've never actually seen Cabaret. I should really rectify that someday.

4. "Blue Skies" - Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Sings Berlin
Some killer scatting here.

5. "Pleasant Little Kingdom/Too Many Mornings" - Mandy Patinkin - Oscar & Steve
Gorgeously full-throated big Broadway singing. The first piece is a cut song from Follies, but it's the second that goes for the kill. This is one of Sondheim's biggest, purplest songs, and Mandy and guest star Judy Blazer do it justice.

6. "Transition 3" - Stephen Sondheim - Passion (Original Broadway Cast)
These short soldier-sung transition pieces were very effective on stage. Reminds me that I really need to watch Passion again.

7. "Jeru" - Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
Early Miles, swinging much more than usual.



8. "Right Now" - Mark Knopfler - All the Roadrunning
A sly little slow jam between Knopfler and Emmylou Harris.



9 "The King of the Golden Hall" - Howard Shore - The Two Towers
Regal, majestic, bittersweet - a wonderful cut.



10. "Somewhere" - Audra McDonald - How Glory Goes
A beautifully understated rendition of one of my top-ten all-time favorite melodies.

Until Whenever

No comments: