Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I Was There

The estimable Terry Teachout (and, yes, there is a contractual edict requiring all bloggers to refer to him as such), has a lovely post today on the arts events--actors, plays, singers, musicians, etc.--that he will be able to, one day, regale a younger audience with tales of having seen live. At the end of his copious list, he asks, somewhat mischievously, "Does anyone else feel a meme coming on?"

Yes. Yes I do. (I'm taking the intent to be not to just list the live concerts/plays/etc. you've seen, but the ones you can envision bragging about 30 years hence).

I saw Donna Murphy in Passion--twice.

I had Stan "The Man" (another contractual thing) Lee sign a Marvel coffee table book at a bookstore.

I saw Bob Dylan live in concert, playing an electric keyboard, of all things.

I saw U2 in concert, several times.

I saw the original cast of Rent from the front row, and could make out countless individual droplets of spit from many a cast member.

I saw Jerry Lewis in Damn Yankees.

I saw Bernadette Peters in Gypsy.

I saw Mandy Patinkin in concert, twice.

I saw Anthony LaPaglia give one hell of a performance in Arthur Miller's A View from the Hill.

And, last, perhaps off-topic but nonetheless apt, I saw the twin towers fall--the first from a window on the Jersey City side of the Hudson, the second in my rear-view mirror on the New Jersey Turnpike.

Anyone else?

Until Whenever

2 comments:

Tom the Dog said...

You got in your car in between the first and second towers falling? I would not have tried going anywhere.

Tosy And Cosh said...

They evacuated our building in Jersey City right after the first building fell. I, with the masses, walked away from the river, and towards the lot where I had parked. Seemed to make sense to get on the road and out of there.

The building I work in now is right across the West Side highway from the site--the PATH train I take in every day comes up out of the river and into the bottom of ground zero. Amazing how quickly it becomes routine.