Thursday, April 03, 2008

TV on DVD

My post on the waiting game got me thinking about TV on DVD, and how investing in a series, especially a long-running one, is a serious commitment - in terms of time and money, and how when it comes down to it, there are only a handful of series I really want to own outright, that I really think I'll revisit down the road. They are:

(Already own)
Lost - I'm very eager, actually, to watch all six seasons in the summer of 2010, and see how well this all hangs together.

Freaks and Geeks - At 13 episodes, this is not much of an investment, but these episodes are easily worth returning to.

Firefly - Another short one that will be easy to revisit. Hoping to hook the wife on this one.

The Simpsons - I have the first ten seasons, all that've been released. At this point, the little bit of a collector that resides in me will probably insist on continuing to get these, even if I'm starting to doubt that I'll revisit all of these episodes ever, especially since I have been watching each set as I get it.

(Want to own)

Sports Night - Another short one I'd love to spin through again someday.

The West Wing - Saw all of these on rental, and would like to go through the series again someday. Even the maligned latter seasons I found very enjoyable.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Saw this one on rental too, and I know I'm going to want to go through it again. Great storytelling, and I'm betting there are things I missed the first go-round.

Gilmore Girls - A show the wife and I love equally, and would both like to watch again from the beginning.

Deadwood - Rented all, would love to go through again someday, to better bask in the luxury of the language know that the plot won't be so cryptic.

The Sopranos - Saw a lot of this piecemeal, and will most definitely want to go through in more concentrated fashion.

Battlestar Galactica - Catching up on Season Three episodes I missed last year now. This will play better than any of the above save maybe Lost, I think, as a single whole.

Once and Again - Assuming they ever release season three.

Pretty sure that's it - the bottom line is that for most series I like I don't feel the need to watch every episode a second time.

Until Whenever

No comments: