Friday, September 14, 2007

Doin' the Friday Shuffle

Been a while.

1. "The Spark of Love" - Elvis Costello - Il Sogno
The best "classical" piece ever by a rock artist? I can't claim to have heard many others, and yet I'd imagine this has a strong shot at the top slot.

2. "Dance 2" - Philip Glass - Einstein on the Beach
I just got this, and all I can say so far is that this is some weird shit.

3. "Red Light" - U2 - War
Is this my least-favorite U2 song? It may be. U2 and backup singers? Not a good mix.

4. "Cannonball" - Supertramp - The Best of Supertramp
Too much sax and synth for my tastes.

5. "Prelude" - Elvis Costello - Il Sogno
Weird.

6. "Cry, Cry, Cry" - Elvis Costello - Almost Blue
A bonus track on the Rhino re-release. Elvis doing country here. Not much he can't do really.

7. "Spozalizio" - Frank Loesser - The Most Happy Fella (2000 Studio Cast Recording)
A big, rambunctious Italian Wedding song. Fun stuff.

8. "Loving You" - Stephen Sondheim (sung by Donna Murphy) - Passion (Original Broadway Cast)
One of the most delicately gorgeous songs in my collection. Just a remarkably tender and sweetly sad bit of songwriting, impeccably sung.

9. "Someday Sweetheart" - Thomas Newman - Road to Perdition (Score)
A period instrumental - not sure if it's a Newman pastiche or an actual old recording.

10. "Stolen Car" - Sting - Sacred Love
I love me my Sting, but this last pop release has failed to grab me in the years I've had it. Overproduced and a bit too smooth for me.

Until Whenever

No comments: